Wednesday 14 January 2009

Booky book

This book is absolutely genius, and I'm endorsing it without the usual patronising qualifiers that you can see in that Amazon review. "Come on lads, give them a chance!" indeed. In my opinion, you can always judge the quality of an art book by how inferior it makes you feel, and this book makes me feel like my attempts at graffiti might as well have been done by a parrot fish on dry land with an oil dipped stick shoved in its mouth.

More importantly, if you're wanting to get into graffiti, the short wee interviews with the writers (and some street artists as well) at least helped put me at ease and realise that everybody has a starting point. The book touches on feminism every now and again, and in the interviews you get a really wide range of experiences of what it's like to be a woman writing. The array of styles is dizzying, and there's some absolutely beautiful four page foldouts in the book that had me salivating.

There's so much good shit in this book it's ridiculous, but a few of my favourites are Blue, Chez, Casie, Mad C, Dune, EMA, Poise, Queen Andrea, Reminisce, Toofly and Tribe.

No comments:

Post a Comment